Fauna In Leticia Amazon(Spider monkey)

Amazon fauna

The Amazon is home to the greatest biodiversity on the planet. This is not quite surprising considering that it is the largest tropical forest on the planet, with an area of 5,500,000 km². The abundance of sunlight and water are some of the reasons why this area is so biologically rich. Even though this biodiversity is spread over such a large area, each portion of the Amazon is still home to an incredible number of plant and animal species.

Spider monkey

Species of arboreal habits, important seed dispersers, its dependence on tropical forests, its large size, its status as an endangered species, hunting and capture pressure on the species, and lack of knowledge about its current distribution and its populations, are characteristics that make the spider monkey a priority species for conservation.

Spider Monkey Diet

Its favorite food is wild fruits, which is why it is known as a frugivorous animal. In fact, 80% of its diet is ripe fruit and the other 20% is made up of tender leaves, seeds and flowers, although occasionally it can consume some insects. To measure the maturity of the fruits, it uses the sense of smell. When their food decreases, it moves to other places in search of new feeding areas. It can move with great agility and speed in daily distances that exceed 500 meters.

Behaviour

It is a diurnal primate, that is, its activities are carried out during the day; It has arboreal habits, for which it lives in groups that constantly move among the trees in search of food. It likes to swing in search of food, feed and rest.
As it is very agile, it is common to see it hanging by one arm, one leg or the tail. When he moves through the branches, he does it with ease and speed and uses all his extremities. For this reason, the most frequent thing is to see it jump from one place to another, propelling itself with its arms or tail, which is called brachiation. It also usually picks up objects with its tail, even above the trees, and carries them from one place to another.
To communicate with other individuals, it emits a vocalization, similar to bark, especially when it wants to give alarm signals or is agitated. When threatened, it throws objects, shakes tree branches and jumps up and down.

Reproduction

Reproduction occurs throughout the year, observing a reproductive peak in the dry season. After a gestation period of 200 to 232 days, the females give birth to a single calf, which they care for and feed during the first year of life. During the first weeks, the calf remains hanging in front of the mother and later they are supported by the lower part of the back. As the lactation period is prolonged (up to 8 months), this influences the female not to reproduce again the following year. Mating takes place every 2 to 4 years. Females reach sexual maturity between 4 years and males at 5 years.